Highlights from their scientific paper published in the journal Neuropharmacology:
• Psilocybin mushrooms have been used for millennia for spiritual and medical purposes.
• Animal and human studies indicate low abuse and no physical dependence potential.
• Major national surveys indicate low rates of abuse, treatment-seeking and harm.
• Psilocybin may provide therapeutic benefits supporting its development as a new drug.
• Analysis supports the scheduling of psilocybin no more restrictively than Schedule IV.