The Associated Press news agency entered a formal cooperation with the Hitler regime in the 1930’s supplying American newspapers with material directly produced and selected by the Nazi propaganda ministry – archive material unearthed by a German historian has revealed.
When the Nazi party seized power in Germany in 1933 one of its first objectives was to bring into line not just the national press but international media too.
The Guardian was banned within a year and by 1935 even bigger British-American agencies such as Keystone and Wide World Photos were forced to close their bureaus after coming under attack for employing Jewish journalists.
Associated Press which has described itself as the ‘marine corps of journalism’ (‘always the first in and the last out’) was the only western news agency able to stay open in Hitler’s Germany – continuing to operate until the US entered the war in 1941.
It thus found itself in the presumably profitable situation of being the prime channel for news reports and pictures out of the totalitarian state.
In an article published in academic journal Studies in Contemporary History historian Harriet Scharnberg shows that AP was only able to retain its access by entering into a mutually beneficial two-way cooperation with the Nazi regime.
The New York-based agency ceded control of its output by signing up to the so-called Schriftleitergesetz (editor’s law) promising not to publish any material ‘calculated to weaken the strength of the Reich abroad or at home’.
This law required AP to hire reporters who also worked for the Nazi party’s propaganda division.
One of the four photographers employed by the Associated Press in the 1930s Franz Roth was a member of the SS paramilitary unit’s propaganda division whose photographs were personally chosen by Hitler.